Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tavira - into the Algarve


We entered the Algarve today, and people cycled various distances between Isla Christina in Spain and Tavira, a picturesque town in Portugal.

We cycled through pretty fishing villages, down county roads, through towns and down the ocean shore. Its lovely country, and the weather is spectacular. We also spent some time at the pool of our hotel sipping Sangria, life is tough!

Tonight we went to a local restaurant, a fish BBQ, where they just serve you without a menu and without anyone ordering anything: fresh salad, freshly caught (likely swimming this morning) grilled local fish on a charcoal BBQ, potatoes and grilled bread, sumptuous and delicious, all for 10 euros per person, it was just exceptional, and a taste of local life in more ways than one.



Our new BananaCycle

My new favorite beer



It was wonderful having dinner with my friends and doctors, it made me realize how lucky I am, and how much I have to be thankful for, but at the same time much remains to be done - please support our research chair at www.stemcellchair.com


1 comment:

  1. Dear Bill,

    I have negligent in not following your blog on a daily basis since the start of your trip in early June but I am now fully caught up after reading all of your daily blog postings.

    Reviewing the blog brought back lots of great memories of the 2010 Celebration of Life ride which I was fortunate enough to share with you for a week or so.

    The 2015 edition looks like it has been lots of fun thus far with great countryside, interesting people and of course you penchant for food and all things related to food!

    Your dedication to this cause is nothing short of extraordinary and you and Maryse have been very generous with your time and your money with your continued support and sponsoring of the chair. May all of your friends and colleagues be inspired by your generously and give to the cause that is so meaningful to you and your family. I will make my donation today.

    I see that you now have a full compliment of friends and family to join you for the balance of your ride; I am sure that you will have lots of fun and create many fond memories as you complete the 2015 Celebration of Life surrounded by people that are close to you.

    Please give my regards to Maryse, Serge and Wes; I wish I were there to enjoy the travels and "celebration of life" with you all but in lieu I offer my fondest regards and best wishes for continued safe travels.

    I look forward to following the rest of your trip via the blog.

    Cheers,

    Wayne Heuff

    ReplyDelete